Um, hello everyone!
I haven't been checking here for about 2 months now, wow. Well, I did check in here a few weeks back, but then, got caught up in other things as well
My last journal dates from... yikes, almost half a year ago.
In late October, I was on an assignment for work and got back to the office in the first week of November, only to have a bunch of things to wrap up and some new type of work to do at the office. Those were actually the work I usually do, but what was new with them was that they were new clients (it was the first time me and my colleagues were working with Swedish, Russian, Bulgarian and Norwegians) and it was basically free service we were giving to those people. The strategy there was for them to test how well we worked and based on that, they would then decide whether they will come to us for our service in the future (and this time, the money will come in). So obviously, everyone had to take extra care with everything we did, double, triple check everything and I happened to get the biggest task of the batch (the client was Mc Donalds from Russia and their transaction records was humongous!).
Of course, that one took most of my time, I decided to use SQL to be able to work faster. I spent some time at home as well just to write queries I would execute once I'm back at work. Shortly after that, I was a couple of weeks before my exams and that's when I decided I needed to focus on my exams. I only checked my email and a few reference sites for articles related to my exams. If I were to pass all three sittings, I wouldn't have to sit more exams for the next couple of years. Even now, I'm not sure whether I managed to score at least the pass mark (these things are those questions where you never know whether you're got them right or not), but we'll see when the results will be announced.
There's something else that has been keeping me somewhat busy, and that thing is called StackOverflow
. It's a QA site I discovered about a year and some months ago when I was looking for help about SQL and some other coding/programming stuff and have been growing more fond of it around April of this year. I've been able to learn some stuff about programming, I have contributed some answers myself and currently have 21k reputation points (just for reference, people get 10 points when they get one 'upvote', and 15 points when the person who asked marks your answer as 'accepted').
It's a bit like yahoo answers, but the community there makes sure there's a decent level of professionalism. Good answers are upvoted, bad ones are downvoted and sometimes sent to oblivion. Not only that, but StackOverflow really is one branch of a tree; it has several 'sister sites' each for something specific. To mention a few, Arcade
for instance is specialised for gaming questions, Writers
is quite obvious, Graphics Design
is about graphic design softwares. Well, of course nothing is all rose tinted, but I'm satisfied with what those sites have to offer.
More recently when my exams were over, there's been an event called 'Winter Bash', where people can earn all sorts of hats based off certain conditions (e.g. get 5 answers all with at least 3 upvotes) and since I had been gone for a while, I was trying to collect those when I had the time and at the same time, climb the reputation ladder since I've been away for a whole month.
At the same time, work hasn't been too demanding this month, but because of this, there has been less people in my section and the workload for each one was largely sufficient to get a full 8 hours per day.
Enough of the boring stuff now, among other news, I've got Pokemon Y, for any of those who would be interested and my friend code is 3781-0435-4592. I have Delibird, Bergmite and Dewgong in my friend safari. I usually leave the internet connection off from my 3DS since it drains so much battery, but if you want to trade/battle or something else, just let me know and I'll get online (just as a note, I'm in the timezone GMT +04 00 with no daylight savings time). I'm breeding some good IV Pokemon right now instead of filling my Pokedex and currently have plenty of Eevee, Wooper, Rotom to give (at least 3 perfect IVs). If you want to add me on Skype to be able to get in touch more easily, my Skype ID is unknownoo8.
Otherwise, I'm trying to use what I've learned to write a small program which will be used as Pokedex. I know there're plenty of them on the internet, I just want to try my hand and see how far I can go! I'll be trying to write it in Tcl, and if that doesn't work as expected, I'll go for Python and I'll probably make it downloadable once it's ready. Currently, I'm thinking of putting mainly competitive stuff in there, such as movepools and try to integrate a damage calculator which will calculate the damage of up to 6 Pokemon of the user's choice at one time.
Uh what else, ah, yes, PMDe closed down and is currently being somewhat replaced by PMDu. I intend to finish up a few stories, and rewrite another piece I lost at the beginning of the year, but I don't plan to join PMDu, I just don't think I'll be able to get into another group and be able to actively participate like I was able to previously. That doesn't mean I'll never join that group, just that I think it's unlikely to happen. Only time can tell.
I've still got a lot of stuff to read too, and I feel kind of guilty for still not having read them yet. A promise is a promise and I will eventually come down to it! For now, there's something else I could do: a tag I didn't get to finish earlier from joekabox
(1) You must post these rules!
(2) Each person has to share 10 things about themselves.
(3) Answer 10 questions asked to you
and invent 10 questions the people you tag will answer.
(tagging is not my forte
(4) Choose 10 people and put their icons on your journal.
(5) Go to their page and inform them they are tagged.
(6) Not something All like "You are tagged if you read this!"
(7) You have to legitimately tag 10 people.
(8) No tag-backs
(9) You can't say that you don't do tags
(10) You MUST MAKE A JOURNAL ENTRY!
1. I happen to like regular expressions (RegExp) which is often used for customized searches and parsing of information, even though it's discouraged to used them for parsing HTML or the like. There's a site which currently has 16 RegExp challenges here
, on which I currently have 3982 total points.
2. I've been watching some old Pokemon episodes that I never watched, or missed entirely. I'm kind of a completionist so...
Hopefully, those will help me draw Pokemon better too!
3. I've recently been a volunteer to test a product not yet on the local market. It was a cream that lightens the skin tone faster after getting tanned. Got some money off it, part of which was used to get Pokemon Y and an external hard disk. The rest is going to travel, food and other smaller miscellaneous stuff.
4. Pokemon Y will be the first legit main series Pokemon game I play. All up to now, I've come across (highly likely) pirated copies of GBA cartridges, or downloaded ROMs since those weren't sold in my country and I don't have a credit card to be able to do online transactions (and mom isn't the type to spend her money on games, even if I'd pay her for that). Now that I work though, I was able to ask a colleague to pay for it and I pay him back.
5. I have 7 shiny Pokemon so far in Y and I didn't really look for them: Dragonair, Horsea, Togepi, Rotom, Wingull, Poliwhirl and Combee.
6. I'm a member of Pokemon Universe
. It's currently only a forum, but was intended to be a Pokemon MMO back then. Today, it seems that the project will instead turn into a tournament site with the unique feature being that the Pokemon that will battle will have their stats 'balanced'. They will be balanced in such a way that any
Pokemon can battle and still have a chance to win. For instance, Butterfree got a boost in its base stats, permanent weather lasts for 5 turns instead unless the corresponding stone is held by the Pokemon using/activating the weather (this was before the metagame in XY was known), some Pokemon got their stats nerfed, some movepool changes, ability changes and even some type changes, for example, Masquerain is Bug/Water instead of Bug/Flying. Well, I'm trying to get better at drawing so that the project does end up in an MMO and not in a tournament thing only. What's really missing right now is art.
7. For those wondering, I work in an accountancy firm (Ernst & Young) in a relatively new department founded in 2011, and I've been working in that department since around July 2012. There's currently 6 staff (including me) and 1 manager.
8. I'm the youngest among my colleagues and the first one to use a programming language to do the tasks assigned to us, and I usually take responsibility of the most complex sort of data we are given especially if the data is of html type, txt type or pdf type. The next youngest is 24.
9. I don't drink alcoholic beverages, and have drank only once in my lifetime so far and even then, it was like a few drops of wine into a full glass of juice... If ever I'm invited to a party, don't be surprised if I refuse any sort of booze
10. Hmm, I don't know what to say now... oh, I'm feeling really hot and sweaty xP
1. What is your favorite movie and why? If you do not like movies or do not have a favorite, replace movie with either Video Game, Book, or TV Show. If the same applies to them, explain why you don't have a favorite movie.
I don't really have a favourite movie, I like a bunch equally and quite a lot; the StarWars series was one of the first movies I watched as a kid; The Lord of the Rings series, Sherlock Holmes, Transformers and Pirates of the Carribean series are just so cool and fun to watch, and Pokemon 2000, which was my first Pokemon movie and my favourite of all the released movies so far in the series. Favourite game is by far Pokemon, in almost any form and maybe Pokemon Platinum as the favourite of the bunch, then The Legend of Zelda, Golden Sun and Kingdom Hearts. For books, I really haven't read much, but I liked Ender's Game.
2. What do you look for in a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/mate/whatever? If you don't want any of those, what do you look for in a friend?
Hmm, that's quite a tough one, I guess that the behaviour is the first thing in a girlfriend, as in does she appear to be honest in her ways, how she reacts to certain situations, how organised she is. Then maybe if she has any common interests with me... But then, I have no experience so...
3. You can choose to live in one of five worlds, which one would you choose? 1) The Pokémon world, but for whatever reason you aren't allowed to catch Pokémon. 2) The world of Harry Potter, but you are a Squib. 3) The world of Yu-Gi-Oh! (whatever series you want), but you suck at dueling (you can get better, but it takes far longer than anyone else). 4) A perfect world where everything is exactly as you'd want it and everyone is happy with it, but you only live for 50 years (you can choose to go there as you are now or be born again). 5) The world as it is now but you get to live a full life without disease, illness, physical harm, or loss of loved ones (you can still be poor, lose property, and things like that however).
I might be cheating if I choose a perfect world which is inhabited by Pokemon as well... Yup, that'd be perfect!
4. Do you want to have kids someday? Regardless of whether or not you do, why?
Yup, sure do. I love kids and babies and it'd be fun to show them, teach them many stuff and pass down the things that is mine so that I'm sure all the effort I made while alive doesn't go away so easily.
5. What's your favorite food?
Um.. I'd say italian cuisine; be it pasta, risotto or pizza. I could eat that every day if they are available, although I would eat a variety of things if there are other things I like, but they won't be as frequently in my dish!
6. Do you have a Pokésona? Either human, Pokémon, or both. If so, would you mind showing them and/or describing them?
Well, I could say I have a Pokemon Pokesona, but I'm waiting till I can draw better to draw it, sorry! I'm sure might be pretty obvious who that is, but your guess might be a little tiny bit off.
7. What are your thoughts on role playing (not role playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, but role playing between two people through text)?
Hmm, well, if it turns out being fun, that can be an enriching experience for all people involved. Otherwise, the time spent could as well have been spent on something more productive. I guess it's all a matter of experience perhaps? And how much the players are creative and/or prepared for it?
8. Animals, do they deserve rights, respect, and fair treatment?
They deserve their rights just as much as they deserved their life in the first place. Now, nothing is all black and white, and there are things that cannot be helped. For instance, mosquitoes here have been pests for a long while and if nothing was done, who knows how many people would have died out of the diseases they have carried... That doesn't mean that they were all mercilessly killed. I sleep with a mosquito net and that keeps them away without having to kill them. Otherwise, other bugs roam freely around, that is, unless they come face to face with a lizard.
9. If you could, would you change your name?
Hmm, no, I believe I'm fine as is. I already got used to it I guess
10. It is a common debate among people (mostly nerds) as to whether or not a teleportation device like those in Star Trek would technically kill you and then clone another you with all your memories (due to the fact the way it teleports you is by breaking you down to atoms, sending you somewhere else, and then putting you back together). That being said, here is a question. If a loved one, just one, were in danger and only you could save them, but the only way to get to them in time is to use a teleporter, knowing that using it could very well end your life and make a clone of you to live instead, would you do it? Think of this as a very nerdy version of sacrificing yourself to save another.
Probably yes, and even without thinking. That, or maybe I'll throw something else first just to see what happens.
Otherwise, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
(just in case I forget again... ._.)